Milo’s Sweet and Sour Crispy Chicken
Chef Tiffany Derry
- 1 c. Milo’s Famous Unsweet Tea
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. ketchup
- 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 lbs. chicken breast, boneless skinless, cut into large cubes
- 1 tsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ c. corn starch
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- ½ c. green onion, sliced
- For the Sweet and Sour Sauce: Combine Milo’s Famous Unsweet Tea, sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and orange zest into a sauce pot. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes then reduce until slightly thick.
- For the Chicken: In a large fryer pan, heat oil to 350° F. Season chicken with Creole seasoning, salt, and pepper. In a large bowl, add half the cornstarch. Add chicken and mix chicken with half the cornstarch until coated. Pour egg over and mix. Add in the remaining cornstarch to create a thick batter. Drop each piece of chicken individually in hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate. *Chicken will not be brown and shouldn’t be fully cooked. You will finish in the sauce.
- For Finishing Dish: In a large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 30 seconds. Add bell peppers and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add Sweet and Sour Sauce to pan along with a touch of salt and pepper, then add the chicken. Toss in pan until chicken is fully coated with green onion.
- Serve with rice or favorite side.